Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Sleeping Giant Summer Writing Camp

Is there an author inside of your child waiting to be awakened? From the first spark of an idea through setting, character, and conflict, the Sleeping Giant Summer Writing Camp, taught by children's book author Jennifer Trafton, is a fun exploration of stories for elementary and middle-school students. This year's camp has a special artistic twist: each student will walk away with a book they have written, illustrated, and hand-bound themselves! Class meetings will include time for writing and feedback from the instructor, though some students may need to work at home to finish stories. Open to both new and returning students, the experience should appeal to young artists as well as budding authors! 

JUNE Camps at Christ Community Church, Franklin 
Choose either Session 1 or Session 2:
  • Session 1 meets June 4, 6, 8, 11, 13, 15 (M, W, F for two weeks), from 2:00 - 4:00 pm
  • Session 2 meets June 18, 19, 21, 25, 26, 28 (M, Tu, Th for two weeks), from 2:00 - 4:00 pm
Ages: Rising 4th through 7th graders
Fee: $120 per child, which covers registration and materials
To register: Contact me at jennifer@jennifertrafton.com

JULY Camp at St. Paul Christian Academy, Nashville: 
St. Paul librarian Lou Alice Rogers and I will be teaming up to teach this one-week camp July 16-20. 
Ages
  • Rising 3rd-4th graders will gather from 9:00 am to noon (M-F)
  • Rising 5th-6th graders will gather from 1:00 to 4:00 pm (M-F)
Fee: $135
To register: For this camp, please register through the St. Paul website http://www.stpaulchristianacademy.org/school-life/summercamps/index.aspx

I will also be offering a one-week camp for rising 2nd and 3rd graders the second week of July, location and time to be announced soon.

Here's what parents and students have been saying:

"Jennifer's writing classes have unlocked a whole new world in my children's imaginations. I love all the exercises that she uses to fuel their creativity." -- Kim, parent

"My daughter is very enthusiastic about this class and has enjoyed all of the activities. Your positive feedback has given her more confidence in her writing. She can't wait to come each week." -- Mary, parent

"I couldn't possibly recommend Mrs. Trafton's writing classes more!  Not only have I learned the art of creative writing, but I have also learned how to add fun and unique styles to my essays, reports, and papers for school. I now love to write, and see it as a treat rather than an assignment!"  -- Hannah, age 12

"Taking these classes has taught me that writing can be really fun. Now I want to write more, and more, and MORE!!" -- Anabel, age 9

I'll be launching a new website very soon with more details. In the meantime, please let me know if you're interested in signing up your child for any of these camps. 

Thanks!

Jennifer Trafton, author of The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic 
Sleeping Giant Creative Journeys for Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment